A double negative from a Cardinal

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Feb 2 15:12:04 UTC 2013

Former Archbishop of Los Angeles and retired Catholic Cardinal Roger
Mahony's actions in managing sexual abuse cases is being revealed in
recently released church documents.

"In [one] case, Mahony resisted turning over a list of altar boys to
police who were investigating claims against a visiting Mexican
priest who was later determined to have molested 26 boys during a
10-month stint in Los Angeles."  [Gillian Flaccus, AP; Yahoo News.]

Mahony wrote on a memo, "We cannot give such a list for no cause whatsoever."

I surmise that he was thinking "no cause" asserted by civil
authorities would be sufficient to release the list of possible victims.

Joel