"gun in your pocket"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Feb 5 02:03:15 UTC 2013

On Feb 4, 2013, at 8:38 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
>> Am I wrong?
>
> Does the
>
> "… banana …"
>
> variant exist, outside of my sieve-like "memory"? The earliest
> in-print revealed by a casual search is 1984.

Yes, and also light sabers, chocolate bars and other long and (roughly) cylindrical objects.  The links at  http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OrAreYouJustHappyToSeeMe
are instructive, even if the author of the text at the site takes it for granted (with no support offered) that it originated with West. I have no idea whether the attribution (of the concept) to Aristophanes is genuine, but if I remember my Lysistrata, it well may be.

LH

P.S.  I like the fact that when I clicked on the Mae West link, the pop-up ad was for Virgin Atlantic.