An American witticism

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 5 17:30:19 UTC 2013

While cleaning out my desk, I found a ten-year-old slip of paper with the
following quotation scrawled on it. I'm posting the quote simply because it
represents a kind of humor I (or somebody other than me) would consider to
be peculiarly American. Now I can toss the scrap.

For those not in the know, the B-24 Liberator bomber of World War II was
very large, four-engined airplane carrying a crew of ten. The bombardier
sat way up front in the Plexiglass nose.

2002 A. Kramer _WWII Stories_ [
http://artkramer.blackapplehost.com/Importance.htm]:

We graduated and the whole class made straight for the posting lists. Some
came away smiling, and some didn't. As one bombardier put it, "Damn.
B-24's. I'm going to go through this war with a hotel strapped to my ass".