choke (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Feb 6 19:58:33 UTC 2013

Intriguing finds, Bill. The 1928 cite below seems to contain an
instance of "choked up" with the requisite sense.  The newspaper
article described a baseball game between the United State Banks and
the Brown Park Merchants in which the Banks won by a score of 16 to 0.
There were playing for the American League Amateur Pennant.

Cite: 1928 September 4, Omaha World Herald, Section: Sports, Union
State Nine Upsets Browns by 16-to-0 Count, Quote Page 15, Column 4,
Omaha, Nebraska. (GenealogyBank)

[Begin excerpt]
A misplay by Marvin Olson enabled the Banks to tally three times in
the first frame and paved the way for a victory. The Browns' infield
choked up in the second and third innings and the Banks made 10 more
scores.
[End excerpt]

NewspaperArchive has some 1937 instances of "choked up in the clutch",
so perhaps "choked up" by itself is plausible.

Garson