mock-up and the two Richards

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Feb 7 02:47:24 UTC 2013

At 2/5/2013 07:12 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>On Feb 5, 2013, at 4:14 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>
> > Once they reanimate him (preferably as a member of a certain political
> > party that shall go nameless), I will graciously retract my objection.
> >
> > JL
>
>Wasn't there a satire in the 70s of Nixon as a (more-or-less)
>reanimated Richard III?
>
>LH

I remember so, and indeed it seems so.  Google Imaging the two in
combination finds from the New Yorker Archive
http://tinyurl.com/a5z7hsm
(For discussion, click on "Visit page".)

And there is M. G. Aune, "The Uses of Richard III : from Robert Cecil
to Richard Nixon",  Shakespeare Bulletin
Volume 24, Number 3, Fall 2006, pp. 23-47 |
10.1353/shb.2006.0045.  Unfortunately, it's from Project Muse, but on
the accessible page I find "This essay will examine the character of
Richard III and the social and sometimes political uses to which it
has been put in two distinct cultural moments: early modern England
and postwar England and America," and a comment that the use of the
"stage Richard" revived in 1973.
http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/shb/summary/v024/24.3aune01.html

Joel