OT: Saturday 11:30 AM - 26 inches

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 10 22:31:56 UTC 2013

On Feb 10, 2013, at 4:54 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole wrote:

> Victor Steinbok
>> Meanwhile, trouble brewing over the Weather Channel's naming of the
>> storm "Nemo"--it seems that they pulled that one out of a hat.
>>
>> http://goo.gl/SkV5x
>
> If the weather channel uses a name like Nemo then the company is
> probably leaving money on the table. Expect sponsored storms in the
> future:
>
> The Rayovac Flashlight Superstorm of 2013
> The Michelin Snow Tires Great Blizzard of 2014
> The Honda Generator Whiteout of 2015
>
> Of course, as Michael Everson points out, the name Nemo has a Disney
> connection, so they might be persuaded to become sponsors.

The next winter storm, currently in prep., is apparently Orko, which I just learned from wikipedia is either for
(i) a cute fictional character from the Masters of the Universe
(ii) an ancient Basque deity
(iii) a Finnish film director
(iv) an alternative hip-hop artist
or, less likely,
(v) a misspelled Italian river (Orco)

Given that its predecessor was a cartoon fish, I take it (i) is the relevant one.  Maybe the idea is that if we give the names of cute little cartoon creatures, they won't be mean to us.  If so, it's not working.

LH