"Book bible"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Feb 11 17:07:07 UTC 2013

I encountered the following on an email list.  I have not seen or
heard the term "book bible".  The description of what the author
wanted sounds merely like a book index, although very
comprehensive.  Perhaps users of the phrase apply it only to fiction
series, where the writer wants to be factual in succeeding
publications (that is, to avoid inconsistencies).  I suppose "bible"
because it is the truth about the fiction.

"I hired a college student to assemble a book bible for my urban
fantasy series last year. I was doing edits on the second book and
about to begin the third, and was spending way too much time flipping
through the first manuscript to fact-check details (was Alex driving
a Mercedes or a BMW, and was it a convertible? That kind of thing). I
had her make an index of all proper nouns, character details, world
building details, lists of charms and potions my character made, etc.
She's done the first two books and will be adding details from book
three this year. It has saved a LOT of time."

Googling seems inefficient (I'm an agnostic, and too many hits are
for The Book).

Joel