Weather.com Storm Names (Was RE: OT: Saturday 11:30 AM - 26 inches)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 11 17:21:23 UTC 2013

On Feb 11, 2013, at 11:22 AM, Baker, John wrote:

>        The storm names in several instances appear to be playing on associations of public domain names with others' intellectual property.  In addition to Gandolf and Nemo, consider the following:
>
> Draco: The first legislator of Athens in Ancient Greece.  But better known to modern Americans as the first name of Draco Malfoy in the Harry Potter books.
>
> Khan: Mongolian conqueror and emperor of the Mongol empire.  Better known in some quarters as a Star Trek character.
>
> Rocky: A single mountain in the Rockies.  But, to many people, more suggestive of Rocky Balboa.
>
>        And I believe that there are other examples; this is by no means a complete list.

Iago (Othello's frenemy) > Iago (parrot from Disney's "Aladdin")
Yogi (Hindu sage) > Yogi (Berra) > Yogi (Bear)

for two.  I suspect you're right.  For example, Virgil (the Roman poet and Dante's guide) must have a pop culture avatar as well

LH