"flicker" = 'movie' (1912) + "flicker alley" (1911), "flicker house" (1913)

Tue Feb 12 03:14:00 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2013, at 5:11 PM, Ben Zimmer wrote:
>
> > * "flicker" = 'movie' (OED2 1927)
>
> whence "flick" (OED 1926) and "the flicks".  Seems like someone might have
> noticed that the truncation is cited for 1926 and its source for 1927.  1911/12
> is more like it.

My impetus for researching this was the use of "the flicks" in the
episode of "Downton Abbey" that aired on PBS Sunday night (set in
1920). I haven't been able to push back the OED's 1926 date yet, but
even if it's antedateable, I think "the flickers" would have been more
period-appropriate. Only problem is it would be rather opaque to a
modern audience.

--
Ben Zimmer
http://benzimmer.com/