storm names

James A. Landau <JJJRLandau@netscape.com> JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM
Tue Feb 12 14:52:51 UTC 2013

http://channels.isp.netscape.com/news/story.jsp?floc=ne-national-more&idq=/ff/story/1001%2F20130211%2F6416.htm&sc=a

Alone, together: Snowed in, in the age of hashtags

BARBARA ORTUTAY
AP Technology Writer

HAMDEN, Conn. (AP) — The East Coast woke up under a blanket of snow this weekend and collectively documented the experience on the myriad social and mobile inventions of the past decade. Facebook, Twitter and other technologies make it increasingly difficult to stay isolated —even if you're stuck home alone.

<snip>

As Northeasterners posted photo after photo of kids sledding in Central Park and suburbanites conquering Mt. Snowmore with their shovels, West Coast wags teased with tweets of sunshine and snapshots of palm trees.

Call it what you will: The Hashtag Snowstorm, the latest Snowpocalypse or Snowtorious B.I.G. The weekend whiteout was a lifetime away from the blizzard of 1978, a world not just without social media but one devoid of endless Weather Channel warnings and the lifeline of mobile phones. Even the last two years have upended the way we receive information. We've moved from text to photos and videos taken on smart phones and we can't let go.

     - James A. Landau (southern New Jersey, about 2 inches)