on blizzards and infixes

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 15 01:58:00 UTC 2013

On Feb 14, 2013, at 12:22 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> More data in HDAS.
>
> JL

Amidst the Davy Crockett sightings (down the gun-barrel) and the weather-related ones (which evidently came and went through the 19th c., with comments as to how this sense had died out), there's a chilling one worth a double take:

1887 Along the Atlantic coast…the word _blizzard_ means a general discharge of all the guns…a rattling volley…This use of the word is familiar to every 'longshoreman from Sandy Hook to Currituck.

The reference, however, is not to "our" Sandy Hook, but one in North Carolina, I infer.

LH