OT: Saturday 11:30 AM - 26 inches

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Feb 16 00:57:48 UTC 2013

At 2/10/2013 04:56 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>after two days of barely getting the sidewalk and car shoveled out
>and wondering whether the plows will come to liberate us before
>spring from our 40-inch-thick white blanket here in Hamden CT,
>"magnificent" isn't the descriptor that would leap to our tongue.

For the effete of Connecticut, consider the report from south of
Hamden after the "Great Snow" of 1717:

John Winthrop [the one who was neither a governor of Massachusetts or
Connecticut nor a Harvard professor] wrote in a letter to Cotton
Mather that "twenty-eight days after the storm, the tenants at
Fisher's Island, pulling out the ruins of one hundred sheep, out of
one snow bank in a valley, (where the snow had drifted over them
sixteen feet) found two of them alive in the drift".

Joel