"allatration" 1724; not in OED

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Feb 20 03:32:03 UTC 2013

"When the rest of our doctors did rather the part of butchers or
tools for the destroyer to our perishing people, and with envious and
horrid insinuations infuriated the world against him, this worthy man
[Zabdiel Boylston] had the courage and conscience to enter upon the
practice [of inoculation] ... With an admirable patience he slighted
the allatrations of a self-destroying people, and the satisfaction of
having done good unto mankind made him a noble compensation for all
the trouble he met withal."

[The definition I propose is "barking"  :-) ]

Cotton Mather, Letter to Dr. James Jurin, 1724 Dec. 14. In _Selected
Letters of Cotton Mather_, comp. Kenneth Silverman (Baton Rouge:
Louisiana State University Press, 1971), p. 402.

GBooks finds only one other instance:

2012:  "... not needin to budge even an inch, standin and listenin to
me just like you did last time." Candied talk, that last part,
thought Shasta, a frequent resort taken by barkers when they were
exposed as having less of a meaningful allatration than a
..."  William Penn, _Love in the Time of Flowers_, p. 264.  [GBooks
Preview.  This needs verification.  I do not see it in
WorldCat.  Amazon.com gives a date of 2009; and publisher Trafford,
which I think is print on demand.  Barnes and Noble gives the
author's name as William Cook.]

Joel