infamous = 'talked-about; popular'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 20 14:19:21 UTC 2013

On Feb 20, 2013, at 9:11 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 2/20/2013 06:58 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>> CNN mentions "The President's infamous round of golf with Tiger Woods."
>>
>> The only meaning I can extract is "well reported,esp. if diverting."
>
> Depends on your opinion of Tiger Woods.  I would extract "disgraceful
> social occasion with a dishonored multiple adulterer."  Woods is
> infamous; the President becomes so also.
>
> Joel

I've come across other instances of bleached "infamous", and think of them as parallel to bleached "notorious" (and other adjectives of a similar kind that I can't think of at the moment).  Maybe "egregious"?  But perhaps there's a lingering negative odor still attaching in the case above, as you suggest.  But I think it would be more like the president playing a round of golf "with a dishonored multiple adulterer *who hasn't won another major* after his episode with the golf club and windshield."  If Tiger's game had recovered, it would be "infamous" in the good, or at least not-bad, sense.

LH