Heard: "loci" with [k]

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 23 21:03:58 UTC 2013

According to Gustavus Fischer's *Latin Grammar* (just happened to
be cleaning out my attic), "jocus" and "frenum" are other members of this
word group: Second declension nouns with both a masculine and a neuter
plural.

Of this group, only "locus" is given as having different meanings depending
on the gender of its plural.

He also refers one to *pluralia tantum,* plural only words; and *heterological
*nouns, words having a change of meaning when pluralized, e.g., castrum
(castle) / castra (camp).

Eric