"money takes flight when might conquers right"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jan 7 17:26:48 UTC 2013

At 1/7/2013 10:19 AM, ADSGarson O'Toole wrote:
>A website with movie subtitle (or caption) information suggests that a
>variant of the saying with the word "fright" was used in the dialog of
>Ivanhoe. Of course, captions are sometimes inaccurate.

True, although "fright" has about 56 hits, versus
"money takes *flight*" + "might conquers right"
which yields only a hapax legomenon:

"Apr 19, 2012 – To quote a line from one of my
favorite movies "When might conquers right, money
takes flight." From Ivanhoe 1952. All been posted before by ..."
http://hotcopper.co.nz/post_single.asp?fid=1&tid=1721404&msgid=9965717

I can't swear whether I heard "flight" or "fright".  (Either would serve.)

But still, did the saying appear earlier than in the movie?
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/80908184/February-16_-2007-Quote-of-the-day-_quotMoney-takes-fright-when-might
attributes the "fright" formulation to Scott and
Ivanhoe, but I did not find it in Gutenberg's copy.

Joel