science

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 11 18:00:33 UTC 2013

OED seems not cover this recent nuance: "scientific data or information."

CNN touts a news show: "Anderson Cooper investigates the frightening
science behind the deadly flu epidemic."

To my antediluvian ears, these words suggest that Evil Scientists created
the virus in their Mad Science lab.  But that's not what is meant.  The
"frightening science" is why (as well as "that")  this year's flu may be a
little more virulent than last year's and may possibly cause a somewhat
higher mortality.

Note too the surprising connotative difference between "deadly flu
epidemic" and "killer flu epidemic."  The latter sounds far more lethal. To
me, anyway.

JL