Negative-toned "ruminate"?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 15 20:29:10 UTC 2013

OED, s.v. "ruminate", 2c:

Psychiatry. To have obsessive thoughts. See rumination n. 1c.

1966   Psychiatric Q. 40 479   The patient began to ruminate psychotically.
1990   M. Shepherd Conceptual Issues in Psychol. Med. iii. 130   He admitted that he was unable to prevent himself from ruminating on past events though he realized that he was distressing himself.
2005   M. Mathews et al. Psychiatry iii. 63   The patient has been ruminating about suicide and guilt feelings.

rumination, 1c:

Psychiatry. Obsessive repetition of the same thoughts to a degree which interferes with normal psychological functioning. Also: an instance of this.

1922   Amer. Jrnl. Psychiatry Jan. 326   We also find the ‘mental rumination’ which I have described as existing in cases of psychasthenia.
1942   Jrnl. Nerv. & Mental Dis. 95 121   Keeping people busy and occupied was one of the best ways of preventing mental breakdown after facing tragedy,..thus avoiding a period of rumination which may precede a remote psychological reaction.
1968   Brit. Jrnl. Psychiatry 114 831/1   Those making up the second vector [of obsessional personalities] were indecisiveness and definite symptoms of neurosis, such as anxiety, phobias, obsessions, and ruminations.
2010   N.Y. Times Mag. 28 Feb. 40/2   Psychiatry has come to see rumination as a dangerous mental habit, because it leads people to fixate on their flaws and problems, thus extending their negative moods.

So yes, it appears to be a term of art, and quite a bit older than my late colleague SN-H.

LH