"The Battle [and bottle] of Bataan"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 17 22:07:58 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:31 PM, W Brewer <brewerwa at gmail.com> wrote:
> WB:  Probably sociolectal variation. In the '70s & '80s, I recall hearing
> _Iran_ pronounced [ear-'rAHn] and pernounced ['eye-'raen]; [ear'rock] vs.
> [eye-'raek].

Back in the '70's, Stevie Wonder cut a side which opens with him
trying to pick up a chick with a stunning display of his command of
foreign tongues. In the course of his rap, he mentions both "Eye-Ran"
and "Eye-Rack." At the time, those pronunciations struck me as so
ignorant, especially in the context of displaying one's supposed
polyglossy, that I found them side-splittingly comic.

Nowadays, these pronunciations are so commonplace that they strike me
as being completely ordinary and "correct."

Youneverknow.

--
-Wilson
-----