early euphemism of the year candidate--"artificial calamari" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 22 17:25:43 UTC 2013

On Jan 22, 2013, at 11:51 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> I agree. "Artificial calamari" says it's fake right there in the name.
>
> What kind of euphemism is that?
>
> JL

Ok, I withdraw the nomination. I probably should have gone with "calamari", which is presumably when the pig bung would actually appear as on the menu when you're ordering it, just as artificial crabmeat (= surimi) generally still gets sold as "crab" at sushi joints, some of which do also offer "real crabmeat" sushi at a somewhat higher price.  In grocery stores, the "artificial" would need to be specified.  In fact, I wouldn't see "artificial crab(meat)" as a euphemism, since one's natural assumption would be that it refers to a fish product, as it does (pollock, usually, IIRC).  But no one not in the know would suspect that "artificial calamari" comes from a pig, much less from the designated part of one.

LH