blowzy

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 22 20:58:30 UTC 2013

On Jan 22, 2013, at 8:08 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> I grew up with both / grisi/ and / grizi /, but never in all my life have I
> heard / lausi /.
>
> JL

I don't know if I've heard it either, but I can imagine saying it if what I meant was "infested with lice".  Of course I might just say "lice/louse-infested" or "infested with lice", but what I don't think I'd say is "/lauzi/". If I were reading out loud and came across "lousy" with that meaning, I'd probably pronounce it "louse-y", to rhyme with "mousy".

LH