late = 'died long ago' (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tyler Schnoebelen tylers at STANFORD.EDU
Tue Jan 22 23:53:02 UTC 2013

Google Ngrams might be one way to look at how "The Late" has been used. (For
example, "The Late Mr" is a reasonable search term for exploring:
http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=the+late+mr&year_start=1600&yea
r_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=).

Having suggested this as a data source for examining how "late" has changed
over time, I will stop far short and just note a couple favorite items:

- Back in the late 1700s, it seems like a common use of "The late Mr." to
talk about marriages (if the bride's father was dead, for example) or estate
sales.

- Fielding published "The History of the Life of the Late Mr. Jonathan Wild
the Great" in 1743-Jonathan Wild had died in 1725. Wikipedia suggests that
Fielding was working on this before 1741, though.

- "The Theological and Philological Works of the Late Mr. John Toland. Being
a System of Jewish, Gentile and Mahometan Christianity" was originally
published in 1732. Toland died in 1722.
http://books.google.com/books?id=d1Fl7tDqIUwC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&
q&f=false

Tyler

---
Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>