Earliest Known Occurrence of the Term "Hot Dog" Pushed Back to 1886, (Corrected Citation)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 23 17:53:31 UTC 2013

On Jan 23, 2013, at 9:42 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> Can a food dish using rye bread (and perhaps in preference to rolls)
> and horseradish really originate in Tennessee rather than New York City?
> (Wondered only half seriously.)
>
> Joel

Inspired by this discussion I tried out a hot dog (well, actually hot sausage) on (marble) rye bread with horseradish, all of which I had on hand, along with a bit of sauerkraut, which wasn't explicitly excluded in the 19th century discussion. Not bad at all. (Mercifully, Hillshire Farms does not divulge whether their product contains any bung; what you don't know can't revolt you.)

LH