Earliest Known Occurrence of the Term "Hot Dog" Pushed Back to, 1886, (Corrected Citation)

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Thu Jan 24 14:16:27 UTC 2013

On 1/24/13 12:00 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:
>   Wed, 23 Jan 2013 12:53:31 -0500
> From:    Laurence Horn<laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
> Subject: Re: Earliest Known Occurrence of the Term "Hot Dog" Pushed Back to
>           1886, (Corrected Citation)
>
> On Jan 23, 2013, at 9:42 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>
>> >Can a food dish using rye bread (and perhaps in preference to rolls)
>> >and horseradish really originate in Tennessee rather than New York City?
>> >(Wondered only half seriously.)
>> >
>> >Joel
Actually, and I'm addressing this more to myself, we need to think about
2 different things: the thing itself and the term applied to it. The
food item certainly could have originated elsewhere and long before the
term "hot dog" was applied to it. It's the term "hot dog" that we're
localizing to TN in 1886.

---Amy West