ILL, the verb

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jan 28 03:21:26 UTC 2013

At 1/27/2013 12:33 PM, Shapiro, Fred wrote:
>I would suggest searching for "ILL" in its inflected forms, with and
>without hyphens, in conjunction with "interlibrary or inter
>library."  But note that this is a predominantly oral term that
>probably does not get used in formal library literature all that much.
>
>Fred Shapiro

I had tried "ILL'd".  ("ILLs" and "ILLing" feel like they have less
potential.)  But one problem with "ILL'd" is that GBooks ignores
punctuation, so that it finds, for example, "the transit expenses of
ILL; (d) ...".  Also, GBooks seems to be treating searches specifying
"A' "B" as "find a page with A OR B" rather than "A AND B".  And one
still gets instances of noun or attributive use, whereas I am asking
for verbal use.

I do see "If you wish to view the papers, your local library can
inter-library loan these on microfilm from the State Historical
Society of Missouri", but I specifically want the abbreviation --
"your local library can ILL these ...".

Joel