Word (Phrase?) of the Year (so far)?; Rambo'd

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 31 19:47:01 UTC 2013

On Jan 31, 2013, at 1:39 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole wrote:

> Below is an example of a movie character being transformed into a
> verb. Of course, Rambo was a sequel title and a character.
>
> Date: Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 6:20 PM
> Subject: She 'Keyser Soze'd' me - spoiler warning
>
> Here is a somewhat specialized but entertaining vocabulary item seen in a tweet.
> Spoiler warning for the film "The Usual Suspects":

There's a virtuous circle here as well, since while in this case the character name isn't the name of the movie, the latter is a name that, AFAIK, is taken from a line from another movie, i.e. Casablanca.  (As in "Round up…")  It's unusual that as minor a character as Louie (Captain Renault) in that movie ends up with two lines as immortal as that one and "I'm shocked, shocked…"

LH