diacritical marks WAS Re: Word (Phrase?) of the Year (so far)?; Rambo'd (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill AMRDEC Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL
Thu Jan 31 21:50:50 UTC 2013

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

> The Wikipedia entry for "The Usual Suspects uses the spelling Keyser
> Soze with an umlaut over the o. Jonathan Lighter sent a message to the
> list on June 2, 2011 about the "Keyser Soeze syndrome" that is
> similar.  Dan Goncharoff sent a message about the "Keyser Soeze
> syndrome" which concerns twist endings for films

>From my high school German, I remember that an umlaut is the double-dot
that goes over o (for the OE sound), the u (UE), and a (AE).  "Keyser
Soze" (and the "o" in "Soze" had a double-dot) was a Turkish name, I
believe.  Should it still be called an umlaut?  Is "umlaut" the general
name for a double-dot mark over a vowel?  (or possibly consonants, as in
"Spinal Tap", in which case the "n" had a double-dot?)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list