Hobson's choice

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jul 7 01:55:50 UTC 2013

Great minds with but a single choice.  From the New York Times Book Review delivered in hard copy today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/books/review/idiopathy-by-sam-byers.html

Last paragraph of review by Joshua Cohen (presupposing that we all know what a "carrier" was in the 17th c.):

The problem of how to treat this novel, with its traumas so rigged and rictus so fixed, finally approximates another British dilemma: “Hobson’s choice,” named after Thomas Hobson, a carrier and stable owner who came of age during the reign of Elizabeth I. Whenever Hobson wasn’t using his horses to deliver goods, he rented them out, and in order to ensure their fair rotation adopted the policy that each customer had to accept the next horse available, or none at all. “Take it or leave it” — the only catch phrase for dark literature, and dark life.

LH