Antedating of "Oral Sex" and "cunnilinctus"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jul 8 17:15:43 UTC 2013

At 7/8/2013 10:16 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>So it was Legman who put the c*t in cunnilingus?
>
>LH

Perhaps not.  Havelock Ellis (Studies in the Psychology of Sex) does
not have ora- or oro- in any combination (or at least his index does
not).  But he does have an index entry for "cunnilinguis [sic] or
cunnilinctus" (each italicized).  I can't give a date, since the
edition I am looking at is 1936/37.  (Earlier copyrights listed in
that edition are 1906, 1910, and 1928.)

OED2 has "cunnilingus" from Ellis's _Stud. Psychol. Sex_ in 1897 and
1905 as its earliest two quotations.  It does not have an entry for
"cunnilinctus", but does have 3 distinct quotations, the earliest
1930, for each of which it adds "[sic]".  Which I suppose is not a
moralistic judgement.

Joel