One trick pony

Tue Jul 9 18:17:05 UTC 2013

Joel wrote:
> I think in the 1905 quotation it's a pony of one trick.  "One-tent"
> and "one-clown" suggest to me a one-ring, penny-ante circus for a
> one-horse town, a circus whose pony can only produce one trick.  If
> the writer meant the circus had only one "trick pony" -- would a
> circus have any other kind of performing pony? -- I think he would
> have left out the word "trick".

Thanks for your response, Joel. Here is a cite in 1899 that describing
a circus with "ten trick-ponies".

Year: 1899
Title: Allan Dare and Robert Le Diable: A Romance
Author: Admiral Porter (David Dixon Porter)
Page: 136
Publisher: D. Appleton and Company, New York

http://books.google.com/books?id=cYs5AQAAMAAJ&q=%22trick-ponies%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
Forty men and women followed on variegated horses, and in the rear
came ten trick-ponies, a cage of performing monkeys, and several huge
dogs as large as bears.
[End excerpt]

In this example, I believe the author is indicating that the number of
ponies is ten and not the number of tricks. This description probably
referred to a fancy circus. It is possible that elaborate circuses had
multiple trick ponies.

If a circus has a single solitary trick pony then it was a small and
unremarkable circus. That is the interpretation I am suggesting for
consideration. Perhaps there is an ambiguity.

Garson