GTT "Gone to Texas"

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 28 17:18:34 UTC 2013

>From a friend's blog; no link because I haven't asked permission:

Back in the 19th century, during the westward expansion, people would paint
GTT on the doors of their cabins in Virginia and Tennessee and similar
places. It meant "Gone To Texas," and it was implicit permission for
someone else to use the cabin, since the original owners weren't coming
back. I left a little piece of paper with "Gone To Texas" taped to the door
of *[his apartment when he moved from California to Texas]*

Mark Mandel