Quote: Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. (Anton Chekhov compressed)

Tue Jul 30 20:17:07 UTC 2013

Back on August 16, 2012 Bill Mullins sent a message to the list about
an article at Buzzfeed titled "26 Indispensable Writing Tips From
Famous Authors". Now the title is "30 Indispensable Writing Tips From
Famous Authors":

http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/writing-advice-from-famous-authors

One tip was attributed to Anton Chekhov: Don't tell me the moon is
shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

The Quote Investigator website now has an analysis. I hypothesized
that the expression was constructed as a summary of the instructions
Anton Chekhov gave to his brother in a letter written in 1886.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/07/30/moon-glint/

Here is a key citation, I think:

[ref] 1954, The Unknown Chekhov: Stories and Other Writings Hitherto
Untranslated by Anton Chekhov, Translated by Avrahm Yarmolinsky,
Section: Introduction, Start Page 9, Quote Page 14, Noonday Press, New
York. (Verified on paper) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
In May, 1886, Chekhov wrote to his brother Alexander, who had literary
ambitions: "In descriptions of Nature one must seize on small details,
grouping them so that when the reader closes his eyes he gets a
picture. For instance, you’ll have a moonlit night if you write that
on the mill dam a piece of glass from a broken bottle glittered like a
bright little star, and that the black shadow of a dog or a wolf
rolled past like a ball."
[End excerpt]

More information is provided in the QI article. Feedback and
additional citations are welcome. Thanks.
Garson