Query on Most Famous ESPN Catchphrases (UNCLASSIFIED)

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Fri Jun 7 17:18:09 UTC 2013

On 6/7/13 9:49 AM, Mullins, Bill CIV (US) wrote:
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>

>>  From Stuart Scott alone, there's "Booyah!", "He must be butter 'cause
>> he's on a roll", and "I ain't saying nuthin but that ain't right".
>> Lots of others, most of which I try to suppress.
>>
>> "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here"--forget who uses
>> that one, and I'm sure it didn't start with SportsCenter, but it gets
>> said a lot there.
>>
>> I learned "My bad" from SportsCenter a while ago, possibly also from
>> S.S.
>>
>> One classic from ages ago--so long ago it was popularized and maybe
>> created by Keith Olbermann, in his prior existence:
>>
>> "That's a 6-4-3 double play if you're scoring at home, or even if
>> you're by yourself."
>

> I also associate the "scoring at home" one with early 1980s David
> Letterman.  His usage may predate that of ESPN, but I don't have any
> suggestions as to how to check who was first.

Well, there's a recent "history" of ESPN:
http://www.amazon.com/Those-Guys-Have-All-Fun/dp/031604301X/ that might
be useful.

Another catchphrase that comes to mind: "It's X's world; we just live in
it."