Yinglish in New York City, 100 years ago

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Mon Jun 10 13:20:07 UTC 2013

What I found intriguing about the Yiddish sign, because I am completely
ignorant of the Hebrew alphabet, is the Arabic numerals plopped into the
text: 15000 and 15. The text, I'm assuming, is read right to left, but
the numbers aren't. So either the direction of reading has to be
reversed for them, or they're just read immediately as a whole.

Is this how numbers are usu. treated in Hebrew alphabet texts or is this
an aspect of it being Yiddish or an aspect of it being Yinglish (like
the borrowings)?

---Amy West