a sadly forgotten masterpiece

Wed Jun 26 03:35:51 UTC 2013

>From a review in last week's TLS of a bibliography of English plays from
the mid-Tudor period through the early Stuarts:

"Some other academic plays sound well worth reviving, if anyone feels like
translating them. Who wouldn’t like to see *Bellum Grammaticale* by Leonard
Hutten (1581)? Its plot description starts like this: “Love, King of the
Verbs, has quarrelled with Poet, King of the Nouns, at a banquet. Now Poet
intends a military response and sends the pronoun He to drum up support
among the prepositions and interjections”"

Our only Latinist seems to be Wilson: will he take up the challenge?  If
produced, at an ADS convention, perhaps, the playbills would no doubt have
to be marked "PG -- some prescriptivist language".   But we are all adults
here, I think.

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.