MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference Quotes

Tue Mar 5 15:18:51 UTC 2013

Here is the text from the Reader’s Digest that I neglected to include
with my previous message. Andrew Lang is the man to beat if you want
to give credit to someone else.

[ref] 1937 April, Reader’s Digest, Volume 30, Toward a More
Picturesque Speech, Quote Page 60, The Reader’s Digest Association.
(Verified on paper)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lampposts – for support
rather than for illumination (Andrew Lang)
[End excerpt]

Here is a link to Barry's web page with valuable information:

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/politicians_use_statistics_as_a_drunken_man_uses_lampposts_for_support_not/