Emoticons in 1881 according to the QI Elves

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 5 16:07:08 UTC 2013

Puck's are more like quasi-proto-emoticons.

The value of emoticons is that they can be appended to sentences.  These
pictures are clearly presented not as aids to communicating but simply as
cartoons that out-cartoon those of actual cartoonists.

Too big, too clumsy, too far beyond the capabilities of any contemporaneous
typewriter, and not even claimed to be useful.

Ambrose Bierce deserves credit for publicizing the bare principle of the
emoticon. But not even his single, limited specimen lent itself to the
non-typographer. I can't even make it with my super-futuristic computer
keyboard today.

JL