more on "dumb as an ashtray"

Wed Mar 6 19:45:51 UTC 2013

The list archives contain posts with:
"smart as a box of rocks"
"dumb as a box of rocks"

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ADS-L;%2BPfYRg;201008130212470400B

Here is a fun example in 1911 with an ash-hopper instead of an
ashtray. Unfortunately, it appears to use a different sense of "dumb".

Title: A Crooked Trail: The Story of a Thousand-mile Saddle Trip Up
and Down the Texas Frontier in Pursuit of a Runaway Ox
Year: 1911

http://books.google.com/books?id=iJTkAAAAMAAJ&q=ash#v=snippet&q=ash&f=false

[Begin excerpt]
"Hain't you boys seen through this thing yet?" he demanded.
Through what thing, Newt? I hastened to ask.
"Can you keep a secret?"
"Of course we can," Frank answered.
"We're as dumb as an ash-hopper," I assured him.
[End excerpt]

Garson