"phonetically"

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Thu Mar 7 19:03:47 UTC 2013

On 3/7/13 12:33 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:

I remember the voice students at UConn, when I worked in the music
library, using "phonetically" this way when referring to learning to
sing a libretto in a language that they didn't know. Now, they would use
the phrase "learn <it> phonetically," so I could easily see someone
rephrasing it as "speak <it> phonetically" to indicate a change in
direction, if you will.

And don't actors use this phrase "learn/speak phonetically" as well,
when they're reciting foreign language lines? It's indicating just a
rote memorization and production of sound without necessarily
corresponding comprehension of what they're saying.

Like those altar boys and Latin. . .

---Amy West