Subject: Re: "Negro with two g's"

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Sun Mar 10 17:35:11 UTC 2013

There are occasional eg's out there like "Dearborn - nice place, not a lot of N-words there," (http://wp.me/p3j86-iO) which is arguably an instance of metonymy, that most commodious of figures of speech. (Indeed, you could make the same point about the use of "hashem" for God among orthodox Jews.) But that doesn't answer the original question of what to call things like "the N-word" or "Negro with two g's" or "a**hhole" or "barnyard expletive" etc. in their standard uses. I can't think of anything more apt than nomonyms. Though on second thought, maybe "euphemism" works too, if you think of "N-word" as a polite way of saying ""nigger,"" which is the name of the word "nigger."

Geoff