"Look a (gift) horse in the mouth"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 12 18:56:43 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 5:07 AM, W Brewer <brewerwa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: "Look a (gift) horse in the mouth"
>
> Bet Larry's relieved.

In the local newspaper, a woman writes to the current Dear Abby
wondering why her supposed friend would give her books that the friend
herself had already read and did not like. After a brief list of
possible reasons - maybe she just thought that that you might like
them - Dear Abby advises the complainer to read the books and decide
for herself whether she likes the books.

"Stop _looking a gift horse in the mouth_."

trying to find the non-existent evil in an apparent good?

--
-Wilson
-----