New racist etymology

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 14 06:16:45 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Young male slaves were often called "bucks"

True, cf.

William Cowper Brann
THE BUCK NEGRO
from, The Works of Brann the Iconoclast
New York: Brann Publishers, 1898, vol. 2

But, so what? Of course, the rest of that claim is nonsense. Besides,
male Indians were also called "bucks." How do we know that *this*
isn't the relevant source, if we're going to pull etymologies out of
our asses? I'll bet that she also insists that "African-American" is
cool and the only "polite" term.

--
-Wilson
-----