immersive

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 17 23:11:39 UTC 2013

I see two distinct uses of the word.

In the link provided earlier, as well as the many links one can find using
the word to refer to Zero Dark Thirty, the word is describing how the movie
was made:

http://www.emanuellevy.com/comment/zero-dark-thirty-extreme-locations/
"The result is a camera that is alive and immersive, hand-held, which
creates an intimacy and rough-hewn quality."

http://www.filmcomment.com/entry/review-zero-dark-thirty-kathryn-bigelow
"Such banalities of either ideological stripe would be wholly out of
keeping with the film’s fascinated, dedicated, immersive closeness to
phenomena, events, atmospheres, to the things themselves. The film is in
love with the details of what it is disclosing; Zero Dark Thirty shows but
refuses to tell."

This is NOT a usage that is just a synonym for "riveting" or "engaging" or
"engrossing".

DanG