Quote: Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known (probably not Carl Sagan)

Mon Mar 18 07:36:20 UTC 2013

The quotation in the subject line is often credited to the astronomer
and science communicator Carl Sagan, e.g., in a Presidential speech.
The earliest evidence I have located is in a Newsweek profile of Sagan
on April 15, 1977 which included the quote but did not attribute it to
anyone. My analysis is located at this link:

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/03/18/incredible/

If an ADS list member can find evidence that Sagan said or wrote the
quote please share it with me and/or the list. If you disagree with
the abbreviated analysis below I would like to hear your viewpoint.
Thanks.

The ascription may be based on a misreading of text printed in the
Newsweek profile of Sagan titled "Seeking Other Worlds". Four
reporters participated in the creation of the report: David Gelman
with Sharon Begley in New York, Dewey Gram in Los Angeles and Evert
Clark in Washington.

The article began by noting that the young Sagan had been entranced by
the adventure tales of Edgar Rice Burroughs which were set on a
fantastical version of the planet Mars referred to as Barsoom. Canals
and fifteen-foot-tall green warriors with four arms were present in
this romanticized setting.

The end of the profile discussed the topic of hypothetical life forms
on other planets. Sagan was in favor of funding serious efforts to
search for evidence of extraterrestrial life by scanning the skies for
electromagnetic signals. He contended that obtaining positive or
negative results in a comprehensive search would be interesting and
valuable. The ellipses in the following passage are present in the
original printed text:

[ref] 1977 August 15, Newsweek, Volume 90, Seeking Other Worlds
(Profile of Carl Sagan), Start Page 46, Quote Page 53, Newsweek, Inc.,
New York. (Verified on microfilm) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
"A serious search with negative results says something of profound
importance," Sagan argues. "We discover there's something almost
forbidden about life ... if it turns out we really are alone." But
clearly, Sagan is looking for a happier result. There may be no
galumphing green Barsoomian giants to satisfy the fantasies of a
romantic Brooklyn boy. But no doubt, there are even stranger
discoveries to be made . . . some totally new phenomenon perhaps . . .
[End excerpt]

The final sentence was not placed between quotation marks. If Sagan
had spoken the final compelling phrase it probably would have been
placed within such marks. Instead the final statements were written
using a reportorial voice. Hence, the expression was probably crafted
by one of the reporters or by an editor at Newsweek.

Garson