Disappeared as transitive

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 18 12:06:32 UTC 2013

I didn't have to search the sacred pages of _Catch-22_ to verify my memory.
Here's a valuable allusion from Justin Lieber's _Noam Chomsky_ (1975),
published shortly before the Argentine situation:

"An amusing instance of a related phenomenon is Joseph Heller's famous line
on the fate of the rebel Dunbar in Catch-22: '*They disappeared him*'— the
sentence is ungrammatical but very apt semantically..."

JL