Disappeared as transitive

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 18 14:18:13 UTC 2013

 Whoopee!! (That means, "Yee-hah!") Here's the passage, from the end of ch.
34:

Nurse Duckett...had urgent news about Dunbar.

"They're going to disappear him," she said.

Yossarian squinted at her uncomprehendingly."They're what?" he asked in
surprise, and laughed uneasily. "What does that mean?"

"I don't know. I heard them talking behind a door."

"Who?"

"I don't know. I couldn't see them. I just heard them say they were going
to disappear Dunbar."

"Why are they going to disappear him?

"I don't know."

"It doesn't make sense. It isn't even good grammar. What the hell does it
mean when they disappear somebody?"

"I don't know."

JL