Disappeared as transitive (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thu Mar 21 05:01:59 UTC 2013

I think that's essentially right, but it may be that the Spanish factor is an amplification of an existing usage.

Mullins's citations show that the magician usage wasn't a one-off, but had at least some currency.

I think there's no doubt that the dirty war of Argentina had an amplifying effect, though whether it derived from earlier use or not will probably never be known. See also "Disappeared (as a transitive verb)" (http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=131401) where people feel that this use comes from Spanish (the Pinochet regime in Chile).

As I noted earlier, the OED has a 1947 use "The issue of the disappeared Polish officers is" and a 1947 (intransitive) use "There have been arrests recently and there are rumors that some people have disappeared."

Between 1931 and 1961, I found seven relevant citations for was/were disappeared in Google Books. All of them could easily be production errors (quoted speech), non-native errors or typographical errors, but it seems reasonable that this use existed up to when Heller used the term (knowing or not) and when then term came to be associated with South America.

1. 1931 "Punch" author unclear (http://ow.ly/jgRIh) - this could be a production error as this citation is actually in quotes
They rushed the guarded entrance and some got past the police who were armed with sticks and others were disappeared by a charge of mounted police."

2. 1941 "The secret diary of William Byrd of Westover, 1709-1712" William Byrd (http://ow.ly/jgR1R)
Some night this month I dreamed that I saw a flaming sword in the sky and called some company to see it but before they could come it was disappeared, and about a week after my wife and I were walking and we discovered in the clouds a....

3. 1943 "Hearings" US Congress (http://ow.ly/jgRTw) - possibly a production error
Right there Judge Hanna, who bought the horse from Frances Wilson that does not belong to him, right there Frances Wilson was disappeared...

4. 1951 "The foreign policy of Palmerston, 1830-1841" Sir Charles Kingley Webster (http://ow.ly/jgRCl) - appears to be a typo
They could have another ship, since Captain Moone and the Francis were disappeared at sea, and probably on their way to England.

5. 1953 "Tax-exempt foundations: Hearings before the Select Committee ...." Congress (http://ow.ly/jgRxh) - possibly production and/or non-native error
All my correspondence with the foundations and some other letters with with American intelligence, with the Attorney General in this country, the FBI, they also were disappeared.

6. 1957 "The Gentleman from Indianapolis" Booth Tarkington or perhaps John Beecroft (http://ow.ly/jgRhy)
...were long ago dispersed; one or two had died; one or two had gone to live elsewhere; the others were disappeared into the smoky bigness of the heavy city.

7. 1958 "The Question" by Henri Alleg (http://ow.ly/jgQwN) - possibly due to interference from French (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Alleg)
His book was therefore a story of immense personal anguish and an attempt to make sure that the story of Algerians and others (including another Frenchman, Maurice Audin, who was disappeared in 1947 by the French military) reached the general public.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA