Antedating of "Viking"

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Thu Mar 21 13:21:10 UTC 2013

If it's a revival, it's a revival from Old Icelandic/Old Norse rather
than from OE, which I think those forms in Fred's cit show. That -er
ending that we see in Fred's cit, however, could be from Modern Ice. or
Norse as well (it's "vikingur" in Mod. Ice., I believe). But actually,
now that I think about it, if it is borrowed from the Icelandic of the
late 1700s, it would still be from OI/ON because they actually
consciously reformed the spelling of Icelandic in the 1600s to more
closely follow the patterns of medieval Icelandic (OI).

I think it makes sense that it disappeared in ME. Keep in mind that the
dominant terms in the OE texts for those Scandinavian raiders/invaders
was not "wicing" but "Denisc mann" or "Northmann" and in the ME period
they're not dealing so much with that group. . .

There's also an instance of "viking" ("Wiching")  in Adam of Bremen's
Gesta Hammaburgensis which he uses to gloss the Latin "pyratum"(?)
("pyratae" in the text) and he identifies the OHG equivalent as
"ascomann". He identifies "wiching" as the term used in Zealand (Denmark).

I'm intrigued to see just how far back we can push the antiquarian use.
. . .

---Amy West