twitterrati plus request

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 24 16:28:56 UTC 2013

> could take it as an analogy with a policeman blowing a whistle to stop
someone from getting away

Yes, when you put it that way. The possibly inconsequential difference is
that just blowing a whistle won't stop anyone from getting away, but it
will alert other cops, who will pile into their Model T waving their
nightsticks in the air as they chase the evil-doer.

A ref's whistle will stop a play immediately, however.

I believe the usual metaphorical sense is that "blowing the whistle" on
somebody exposes them more than it thwarts them.

JL