Reverse graffito/graffiti

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sat Mar 30 13:26:10 UTC 2013

Off the topic, but the mention of "Toys-R-Us" spin-offs is an occasion to record a racist "language" joke heard in "white" parts of Georgia:  There's a new toy-store chain opening in Atlanta:  We-B-Toys.

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of W Brewer
Poster:       W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Reverse graffito/graffiti

Well, not exactly a case of reverse graffito in sensu stricto, but similar,
was the solution of a retail chain store in Nevada & Southern California in
the '70s. LAMPS R US changed its name to LAMPS PLUS, in the wake of
litigation by Toys R Us. I wrote it up in American Speech 62:177-180 (1987).